The Caddie Network: 2019 PGA Tour caddie survey
The Caddie Network commissioned a survey amongst 72 professional Tour caddies about the 2019 season.
Here are the results…
Did the USGA make an improvement to the game of golf with their updated rules for 2019?
- 47.2% Yes
- 52.8% No
Do you approve of the USGA’s new rule requiring a drop from knee height?
- 52.8% Yes
- 47.2% No
Do you approve of the the USGA’s new 2019 rule allowing for golfers to putt with the pin flag still in the hole?
- 58.3% Yes
- 41.7% No
“Pin in” or “Pin out?”
- 62.5% Out
- 37.5% In
Will Tiger Woods win a major in 2019?
- 61.1% No
- 38.9% Yes
Which player will end the season as the world’s No.1-ranked golfer?
- 1. 43.1% Justin Rose
- 2. 19.4% Dustin Johnson
- 3. 9.72% Brooks Koepka
- T4. 5.56% each Bryson DeChambeau & Jon Rahm
Name one player – not named Tiger, Rory, Justin (Rose or Thomas), Brooks or Dustin – who you think will have a big 2019.
- T1. 13.9% each Byson DeChambeau & Xander Schauffele
- 3. 9.72% Rickie Fowler
- 4. 6.94% each Gary Woodland & Jon Rahm
Who will win the 2019 FedExCup?
- 1. 15.3% Dustin Johnson
- 2. 13.9% Bryson DeChambeau
- 3. 11.1% Justin Rose
- T4. 8.33% each Rory McIlroy, Rickie Fowler, and Justin Thomas
What is your favorite tournament to caddie on the PGA Tour schedule?
- 1. 22.2% The Masters
- 2. 12.5% RBC Heritage
- T3. 9.72% each Genesis Open & Wells Fargo Championship
- 5. 8.33% Waste Management
What is your LEAST favorite tournament to caddie on the PGA Tour schedule?
- 1. 16.7% AT&T Pebble Beach
- 2. 15.2% John Deere Classic
- T3. 11.1% each Puerto Rico Open & Barracuda Championship
- 5. 8.33% Arnold Palmer Invitational
Which tournament on the PGA Tour schedule is the best for caddie hospitality?
- 1. 65.3% Wells Fargo Championship
- 2. 13.9% The Masters
- 3. 5.6% Waste Management Phoenix Open
- T4. 2.78% each AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, BMW Championship, Fort Worth Invitational, Travelers Championship
Which tournament on the PGA Tour schedule is the WORST for caddie hospitality?
- 1. 27.8% Sony Open
- 2. 13.9% John Deere Classic
- 3. 11.1% AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
- 4. 6.94% The Memorial
Should the Players Championship be the fifth major?
- 44.4% Yes
- 55.6% No
Who will win the 2019 Masters?
- 1. 23.6% Tiger Woods
- 2. 20.8% Justin Rose
- T3. 11.1% each Dustin Thomas & Rory McIlroy
- T5. 5.55% each Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson, and Jon Rahm
Who will win the 2019 U.S. Open?
- 1. 29.2% Dustin Johnson
- 2. 16.7% Brooks Koepka
- 3. 8.33% Phil Mickelson
- 4. 6.94% Justin Rose
- 5. 5.55% Tiger Woods
Who will win the 2019 Open Championship?
- 1. 23.6% Rory McIlroy
- T2. 13.9% each Tommy Fleetwood & Justin Rose
- 4. 6.94% Tiger Woods
- 5. 5.56% Brooks Koepka
Will Rickie Fowler win a major in 2019?
- 76.4% No
- 23.6% Yes
Should the PGA TOUR embrace sports betting?
- 84.7% Yes
- 15.3% No
Which of the four major venues are you most looking to seeing this year?
- 41.7% Royal Portrush Golf Club
- 40.3% Augusta National
- 15.3% Pebble Beach
- 2.8% Bethpage Black
If I could caddie for any player on the PGA Tour, it would be ______________.
- 1. 13.9% Tiger Woods
- 2. 12.5% Justin Thomas
- 3. 9.72% Rickie Fowler
- T4. 8.33% each Rory McIlroy, Brooks Koepka, and Dustin Johnson
Do you think the PGA Tour made the right decision in restructuring the FedExCup Playoffs?
- 79.2% Yes
- 20.8% No
If I could only caddie at one golf course for the rest of my life, I would caddie at _____________.
- 1. 20.8% Augusta National
- 2. 15.3% Pebble Beach
- T3. 8.3% each Cypress Point & Riviera
- T5. 6.94% each Nowhere & Waialae
Other anonymous thoughts from the caddies:
“A donut without holes is a Danish.”
“You should only be allowed to touch the putter with your hands.”
“The Tour should host an event at Eagle Point GC in Wilmington every year (site of 2017 Wells Fargo).”
“Commissioner Monahan has done an incredible job.”
“Ban the long putter.”
What questions would you want to ask the caddies? Comment below to share your questions, or Tweet your questions to @CaddieNetwork with the hashtag #AskACaddie.
Caddy input should be considered
with respect to rule changes i.e.
1. You should only be allowed to touch the putter with your hands.
2. Ban the long putter and introduce a length limit.
More please. A quarterly survey of caddies on different topics would be awesome.
Would be interesting to know what makes a tournament a bad hospitality event? Bad food? Getting treated poorly by tournament staff?
Do the caddies believe it would be detrimental to use a 60 second shot clock?