The Caddie Line: 2018 Mayakoba Golf Classic
The Mayakoba Golf Classic tees off on Thursday morning in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, where Patton Kizzire returns as the defending champion at El Camaleon Golf Club.
Our caddies in Mexico for the tournament have taken a close look at the field list.
Three caddies have selected three players each, who they think could make a run at an early-season win.
RELATED: 2018-19 PGA Tour season schedule and results
To protect their identity, the caddies have made their respective picks anonymously. For what it’s worth, the caddies have successfully identified winners the last two weeks in succession in Cameron Champ and Bryson DeChambeau.
Here are the players they like south of the border this week…
- Brian Gay, “Brian is a straight driver of the ball and a good putter that has won here before.”
- Gary Woodland, “Gary has been in the mix here before and he enters this week on the strength of four, consecutive, top-10 finishes. He’s playing great and he’s coming back to a course where he’s played well previously. That’s a dangerous combo.”
- Jordan Speith, “This is the first time Jordan has played here, but I feel like this course suits his game because it’s not overly long and driving accuracy will be an advantage.”
- Emiliano Grillo, “Emiliano had a T9 here in Mexico last year, finished 10th in 2017 and he recently tied for second in the CIMB Classic. His game is in a good place and he’s a steady player who’s solid in the wind.”
- Gary Woodland, “He’s a ball-striking machine and will have perfect green speeds for his putting.”
- Keith Mitchell, “With two, top-25 finishes so far this season after a stellar first full season on the PGA Tour that included four, top-10 finishes, it’s only a matter of time before Keith breaks through on the big tour.”
- Rickie Fowler, “His game is on point coming off a strong Sunday finish in Vegas – an 8-under 63 to tie for fourth – and he’s returning to the site of a second-place finish last year.”
- Jordan Spieth, “It’s been too long since he’s won. He’s hungry and the course will suit him well.”
- Chez Reavie, “Chez is a flusher that has no weaknesses in his game. This course will suit him perfectly.”