Caddie Picks: How they fared at the 2019 CJ CUP @ NINE BRIDGES
This is the tally of top-10 finishers for our caddie picks in the 2019-20 PGA Tour season:
Here’s a look at how all the caddie picks have made out this season, tournament by tournament (WD = Withdrawal; MC = Missed Cut; DNS = Did Not Start; MDF = Made Cut, Did Not Finish):
2019 CJ CUP @ NINE BRIDGES:
For the second time in three seasons, Justin Thomas claimed victory in the CJ Cup @ Nine Bridges, just as predicted by one of our expert caddie prognosticators.
Among the picks in Korea, Hideki Matsuyama was the only other top-10 finisher with a T3.
Defending champion Brooks Koepka withdrew from the tournament after the second round due to a new injury.
Here’s a look at how all the caddie picks fared in Korea…
- Winning Pick: Hideki Matsuyama, T3
- Darkhorse Pick: Luke List, T57
- Top-10 Finisher: Sungjae Im, T39
- Winning Pick: Brooks Koepka, WD
- Darkhorse Pick: Collin Morikawa, T36
- Top-10 Finisher: Viktor Hovland, T31
- Winning Pick: Justin Thomas, Won
- Darkhorse Pick: Keith Mitchell, T46
- Top-10 Finisher: Matthew Wolff, 74
THIS WEEK: ZOZO Championship
2019 Houston Open:
When a six-foot par putt found the bottom of the cup at the Golf Club of Houston’s 18th hole on Sunday, Lanto Griffin picked up his first career win — the 2019 Houston Open — by a single shot over Scott Harrington and Mark Hubbard.
Though our caddie pickers weren’t able to identify the winner in the Lone Star State, it was another solid week for prognostications.
Harris English was the top finisher among those the caddies expected to play well, finishing T4. It was the third time in four starts this season where English has managed a T6 or better.
Denny McCarthy, who also got a positive nod from the caddies, finished T9.
Here’s a look at how all the caddie picks fared in Houston…
- Winning Pick: Pat Perez, WD
- Darkhorse Pick: Denny McCarthy, T9
- Top-10 Finisher: Russell Knox, T28
- Winning Pick: Henrik Stenson, MC
- Darkhorse Pick: Harris English, T4
- Top-10 Finisher: Scottie Scheffler, T28
- Winning Pick: Russell Henley, T61
- Darkhorse Pick: Luke List, T28
- Top-10 Finisher: Keegan Bradley, MC
2019 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open:
Patrick Cantlay sure does love him some TPC Summerlin. Two years removed from a win in the 2017 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open and one year removed from a runner-up showing, Cantlay again finished runner up, this time losing to winner Kevin Na on the second hole of a sudden-death playoff.
Cantlay was the top finisher amongst our caddie picks in Vegas, but there were also two other top-5 finishers, with Bryson DeChambeau and Adam Hadwin each finishing T4.
Here’s a look at how all the caddie picks fared in Las Vegas…
- Winning Pick: Patrick Cantlay, 2nd
- Darkhorse Pick: Dylan Frittelli, MC
- Top-10 Finisher: Charles Howell III, T68
- Winning Pick: Adam Scott, T42
- Darkhorse Pick: Scottie Scheffler, T74
- Top-10 Finisher: Bryson DeChambeau, T4
- Winning Pick: Brooks Koepka, MC
- Darkhorse Pick: Adam Hadwin, T4
- Top-10 Finisher: J.T. Poston, MC
2019 Safeway Open:
With a tremendous week in Napa Valley at the Safeway Open, 24-year-old Cameron Champ picked up his second career PGA Tour win. He downed Canada’s Adam Hadwin by a single stroke at 17-under par.
Among our caddie picks at Silverado Resort, Justin Thomas was the best of the bunch, finishing T4 in his 2019-20 PGA Tour season debut.
Brandt Snedeker, T17, was the only other top-20 finisher among the caddie guesses. Here’s a look at how all their picks fared…
- Winning Pick: Justin Thomas, T4
- Darkhorse Pick: Adam Schenk, MC
- Top-10 Finisher: Patrick Cantlay, T40
- Winning Pick: Hideki Matsuyama, MC
- Darkhorse Pick: Ryan Moore, MC
- Top-10 Finisher: Brandt Snedeker, T17
- Winning Pick: Patrick Cantlay, T40
- Darkhorse Pick: Emiliano Grillo, MC
- Top-10 Finisher: Sungjae Im, T49
2019 Sanderson Farms Championship:
For the second consecutive week, our caddies turned in solid predictions for the Sanderson Farms Championship.
Sungjae Im was the top performer amongst the caddie picks with a runner-up showing. He lost to Sebastian Munoz on the first hole of a playoff. Caddie pick Harris English finished T6 — his second straight week with a top 10 — whole Scottie Scheffler (T16) and Brian Harman (T14) both finished inside the top 20.
Here’s a look at how all the caddie picks fared at the Country Club of Jackson…
- Winning Pick: Brandt Snedeker, T45
- Darkhorse Pick: Scottie Scheffler, T16
- Top-10 Finisher: Harris English, T6
- Winning Pick: Lucas Glover, MC
- Darkhorse Pick: Brian Harman, T14
- Top-10 Finisher: Sungjae Im, 2nd
- Winning Pick: Joaquin Niemann, T54
- Darkhorse Pick: Corey Conners, MC
- Top-10 Finisher: Brian Harman, T14
2019 A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier:
It was a massive start to the 2019-20 PGA Tour season for Chile’s Joaquin Niemann. The 20-year-old notched his first career PGA Tour victory in A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier on Sunday in dominating fashion. Thanks to a final-round, 6-under 64, Niemann cruised to a six-stroke victory over runner-up Tom Hoge.
It was also a stellar week for our caddie prognosticators. In their first week back after a two-week offseason, our caddie guest pickers identified five top-20 finishers, including Niemann and Viktor Hovland, who finished T10.
Here’s a look at how all their picks fared at The Greenbrier…
- Winning Pick: Viktor Hovland, T10
- Darkhorse Pick: Harold Varner III, T19
- Top-10 Finisher: Joaquin Niemann, WON
- Winning Pick: Jason Kokrak, MC
- Darkhorse Pick: Viktor Hovland, T10
- Top-10 Finisher: Sungjae Im, T19
- Winning Pick: Marc Leishman, WD
- Darkhorse Pick: Robert Streb, 66th
- Top-10 Finisher: Russell Henley, T57