There’s so much you can learn about yourself as a golfer when you take a caddie.
Along the way, you might even be lucky enough to receive some sage advice from your looper.
We recently asked our Twitter followers the following question: What’s one piece of advice a caddie has passed along that has always stuck with you?
We received so many great answers, we wanted to share a collection of them here for players and caddies. For players, maybe you’ll find something here that resonates with your own game. For caddies, perhaps you’ll find a nugget of wisdom (or a light-hearted, well-timed quip… some of which we wouldn’t recommend unless you know your player’s sense of humor well) you can share with a player during your next loop…
- “Don’t do anything stupid.” — @amandagolf59
- “Hit a club to the back of the green yardage.” — @Best_In_Golf
- “’You try that shot and you’re one swing away from a triple.’ That was just last week!” — @tomfaulds
- “You’re not good enough to get that mad, so get it together, man!” — @pwammer
- “You miss 100 percent of the shots that don’t get there! (in reference to putting)” — @DaniellaCarlisi
- “Swing your swing and blame me for a bad shot.” — @N0RMANCH0MSKY
- “Good tempo.” — @jwcwahoo
- “After me asking how much break to play on a short putt, ‘Bullets don’t bend.’” — @jlpfcc
- “Never leave an eagle putt short.” — @jeffmkeckler
- “Commit.” — @dgchmiel
- “Advance the ball laddie.” — @ned93
- “Hitting out of the rough on 18 @royalportrush: ‘Greg Norman hit a 6-iron onto the green from here. You’re not Greg Norman.’” — @gordongolf
- “The flag is a destination, not a target.” — @Garsyll
- “Have a go. We’re not here for a haircut.” — @alecblair
- “After telling my caddie at the Old Course that I was nervous, he looked at me and said, ‘relax! It’s just a golf course.’ Now that’s the way I look at every course I play no matter the history.” — @blitzkrieg_golf
- “’Positive vibes only.’ Seems obvious but easier said than done.” — @G87Mac
- “Playing The Old Course. No. 10… 50 yards from the green. Paddy said, ‘Use a 7-iron, chip and run.’ I said, ‘sand-wedge.’ He said, ‘All you Americans want to do is hit your f@!%ing sand wedge.’ He said, ‘Chip and run.’ I skulled my sand-wedge onto the other green, 110 feet away. He didn’t talk to me for two holes.” — @CarlseyGolf
- “Walked to the tips. Caddie and bag are at the whites. Caddie: ‘make you a deal. If we’re making too many birdies, we’ll move back.’” — @BlakeWilliamsSF
- “You don’t yell ‘fore’ … you f’n scream ‘FOOOORRRRREEEEEE!!!!!’ Scottish caddie-style.” — @mh1229mh1229